There's an idea that was planted in my heart many months ago. It had heard of it before but had always been weary of it, unbelieving of it. But there it was, a foreign emotion there deep amongst the regular emotions I already had, giants hulking over it. So tiny I didn't even know it was there. But every day I woke up, the thought of you shining into my life gave life to that seed. Soon, waking up to your actual smile made it surge forth from the bedrock of shame and regret and fear that had shackled itself to my heart. Until one day I woke up and there it was, blooming for me to ponder.
How could this be? It couldn't. There was no way this could happen. I had long ago decided it was impossible. And yet there it was.
I lived with it every day. I went to sleep admiring it, walked to and from school with it. Sometimes I would let my guard down and even smile about it while staring at lines of text I had stopped reading minutes before.
It had grown. Tough and strong despite all the neglect I had shown it. That idea was no longer just an idea. It was a truth. As true as the heart still beating between my lungs still breathing. So true that I could finally tell you.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThere's an idea that was planted in my heart many months ago. It had heard of it before but had always been weary of it, unbelieving of it. But there it was, a foreign emotion there deep amongst the regular emotions I already had, giants hulking over it. So tiny I didn't even know it was there. But every day I woke up, the thought of you shining into my life gave life to that seed. Soon, waking up to your actual smile made it surge forth from the bedrock of shame and regret and fear that had shackled itself to my heart. Until one day I woke up and there it was, blooming for me to ponder.
ReplyDeleteHow could this be? It couldn't. There was no way this could happen. I had long ago decided it was impossible. And yet there it was.
I lived with it every day. I went to sleep admiring it, walked to and from school with it. Sometimes I would let my guard down and even smile about it while staring at lines of text I had stopped reading minutes before.
It had grown. Tough and strong despite all the neglect I had shown it. That idea was no longer just an idea. It was a truth. As true as the heart still beating between my lungs still breathing. So true that I could finally tell you.
You laughed. And said you had known all along.